Further details of RAL/PPD PhD studentships
30 Nov 2022







​Please read the overview about RAL/PPD studentships, before reading the text below.

RAL students in Particle Physics are registered as full-time postgraduate students at the partner​ University. They are based in the Particle Physics Department at RAL but may also be required to visit the other UK and/or overseas laboratories, e.g. CERN, Geneva; SURF, South Dakota etc. Applicants will normally be expected to have a UK first degree in physics or another appropriate subject, with first or upper second class honours, or to have an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard from a university or educational institution of university rank, or to have a recognised Master's degree. In most cases, students will be required to register initially for an MPhil/MSc degree, with the expectation of transfer to the PhD/D.Phil programme after the successful completion of one year and with the approval of the Physics Department at the collaborating University and the Particle Physics Department at RAL.

Students need to satisfy the entry requirements of the partner university. Typically this means:

  1. A candidate whose qualifications, although otherwise acceptable, are inadequate in a particular field may be required to pass specified qualifying examinations in that field during the period of their MPhil/MSc registration and before presenting themselves for the degree. If qualifying requirements are specified for PhD/DPhil registration, they must normally be satisfied before the period of registration can begin.
  2. ​All students whose first language is not English must be able to provide recent evidence that their spoken and written command of the English language is adequate. This requirement is specified in order to ensure that the academic progress of students is not hindered by language difficulties and that students are able to benefit from their time at RAL. The required evidence may take the form of a minimum of 18 months' education or work experience conducted in English and undertaken no more than three years prior to the proposed date of enrolment. Alternatively, applicants must provide a recently obtained acceptable English language qualification or test result. The qualification or test result must have been awarded no more than three years prior to the proposed date of enrolment. A variety of qualifications are accepted. Applicants should send this evidence or arrange for it to be sent, at the same time as their formal application is made. RAL reserves the right to require any student to withdraw from the degree programme if, in the opinion of the supervisor, the student's proficiency in English is inadequate.

Financial support covers the home fees charged at University and is available for UK students. Non-UK students can find out which fees they have to pay from the UKCISA page. In addition, a maintenance allowance is paid over 3.5 years at the "outside London" rate. International students are eligible, and 30% of the studentships can be given to such students. However, the grants do not cover the international University fees. So if you have the correct qualifications and either the partner University offers a special deal to waive the international fees or you have access to your own funding, either from your home country or your own finances, your application will be considered. 

Students not covered by the above may still be accepted to study for a PhD/DPhil, under appropriate circumstances, provided they meet all the relevant entry criteria. All students will be entitled to the normal rights, privileges and use of facilities at the collaborating University, particularly those of the graduate school, and will be subject to the same responsibilities, rules and regulations as other registered graduate students. Whilst not an "employee" of STFC, when working at RAL, students will be required to comply with a number of policies/procedures including those relating to health and safety, no-smoking, code of conduct for staff etc as well as conforming with normal staff requirements for medical and security clearance. They will have the same access to Welfare, Occupational Health and Nursery facilities as STFC employees.

The primary supervisor for RAL students will be a RAL Research Physicist (or appropriate RAL staff scientist). There will normally be a second supervisor from among the appropriate staff at the collaborating University. RAL students will normally be expected to see their University supervisors at least once per term. RAL students will be required to attend formal lecture courses as specified by RAL and the collaborating University.​