- How to Apply
- Particulars for a Given Year
- Practical Help
We hope to offer up to eight places for Summer Students each year.
The process usually goes "live" around 31 January, each year, at which point, emails are sent to the heads of the UK-PP Experimental Groups.
We are looking for high-quality undergraduates who are currently in their 3rd year (only 3rd year) studying physics (in some cases, we may consider students studying Maths, Computer Science, Engineering). These Studentships are highly competitive.
Successful applicants will work with our staff at RAL (Oxfordshire) on one of our projects. These include ATLAS, CMS, Dark Matter, LHCb, LZ and T2K.
Studentships will be for typically 8 weeks, in the period June to September.
Students will be responsible for their own accommodation and transport (we will try to help - see below), but will be paid of the order of 300 pounds per week to cover their expenses.
Applicants must be in their 3rd year, and will normally be studying physics. They must already be eligible to work in the UK.
How to Apply
We require completed CVs, along with a Letter of Recommendation from your university tutor, by the date indciated in "Particulars for a Given Year".
- These should be sent separately by email to Gill.Birch@stfc.ac.uk.
- CVs should have "YYYY PPD Summer Student Application" as the subject of the email, where "YYYY" is the current year. Do not include additional information in your email, but put it in your CV.
Your CV should have a file name "SURNAME, FIRSTNAME" and should be in pdf or Word format.
- Letters of Recommendation should have "YYYY PPD Summer Student Reference" as the subject of the email. We anticipate these will come directly from your tutor (or another member of university staff who has supervised you).
The letter should have a file name "SURNAME, FIRSTNAME".
- Home address
- Correspondence address if different
- Email address
- Contact phone number (s)
- Information about your current study:
- Course name
- Year of study (should be 3rd year!)
- Subjects studied & results to date (details or a transcript)
- Past academic record
- Subjects studied and results
- Project work
- Past work experience
- Computing experience
- Interests and hobbies, etc
As well as
- Preferred period of Studentship (in June-September) - at the top
- Confirmation that you are eligible to live and work in UK (at the time of application) - at the top
- A statement as to why you are interested in a Studentship
Do not include useful information in your email, as it will get lost.
We hope to come to conclusions by first week of March.
There is a certain amount of flexibility in start/end dates and we will try to match selected students to suitable projects.
If you have questions about the process or the programme, contact Stephen.Haywood@stfc.ac.uk
Particulars for Given Year
2019 - available from around 1 Feb 2019
2018 - applications now closed
2017 - applications now closed
RAL postcode is area is OX11 0QX. Nearby villages/towns are:
- walking distance to RAL
- bike distance (long walk) to RAL
/ Wantage - bus (bike ride if you are keen cyclist) to RAL
- bus to RAL