15 Sep 2017







Once you have received notification from STFC Studentships that you will receive the funding you should follow this link, which will lead you to the instructions for registering with the UK Liaison Office at CERN (UKLO). 

The arrival and departure dates for students on 50 weeks LTA are below:

​2nd - 5th October 2023
19th September 2023
15th - 19th January 2024​8th - 12th January 2024
8th - 12th April 202425th - 28th April 2024


STFC holds leases for several properties in the region for accommodating students. The accommodations are found in residential buildings located in Meyrin/Geneva, Switzerland - many within reasonable walking distance of CERN. Since they are all located in residential areas, do your part following a few basic rules: no loud music/noise after 10 pm, no rubbish in corridors and keep the accommodation tidy. 

Students are placed in one of the following types of accommodation: studio apartment, 1 bedroomed apartment, shared housing​ or residence apartment (apart-hotel). Although we cannot accept general requests for accommodation or location preferences, please do inform us of any specific concerns you may have concerning living arrangements. Individuals with reduced mobility should contact us with at least six months' advance notice. Please note that your accommodation can be subject to change at any time throughout the duration of your stay. ​

​All properties are furnished and in addition to large furniture items will include:

vacuum cleaner, kettle, iron and ironing board, basic kitchen equipment - saucepans, pan, cooking utensils, crockery - plates, cups, bowls, cutlery, basic glassware, shower curtain, bath mat and mattress protector

Please be advised that not every accommodation will have the following items. If these items are not present and are required by the occupant then it is their responsibility to purchase them. The UK Liaison Office will not be able to reimburse the individual for these items:

replacement light bulbs, television, microwave, washing machine, dryer or toaster

Internet connection is already set up in each accommodation. No action is necessary on the part of students.

All property damage, mould, leaks or broken items in your accommodation must be reported to the UK Liaison Office immediately. It is our obligation to inform the agencies/landlords, and often the insurance agency so that we can minimise repair costs and damage to adjoining apartments. 

All accommodation includes insurance coverage for contents and civil liability insurance for the STFC tenants. 

We will arrange with you a convenient date at the end of your LTA for the Check-out. Accommodation must be returned to us in the condition it was upon your arrival.

All Students on LTA must agree to follow the Student Responsibilities January 2023.pdf and the CERN Code of Conduct.


All STFC students are residents in Switzerland. If you are an EU or UK national you do not need a visa to live in Switzerland. However, UK nationals must be in possession of a valid passport with more than 6 months of validity. 

All non-EU/UK nationals please check the entry requirements needed to live in Switzerland. 


Your Institute is responsible for providing adequate travel and medical insurance for you. You will need to know the name of the insurance provider(s) in order to complete the LTA form.​

Your insurance company might be able to help you in locating a provider, however, another excellent resource is the CERN Medical Service site.  The site includes details for local hospitals and a tool to search for healthcare providers.  While on the CERN site, there is also the possibility to contact the infirmary for guidance.  The Emergency number at CERN is 74444.


Even if you already have a CERN access card, you must visit the Users' Office to update your file and increase your percentage to 100% as soon as you arrive at CERN for your LTA. This action will initiate the process to request your Swiss and French residency and work permits. At the end of your LTA, you must inform the Users' Office of your departure, decrease your percentage at CERN  and return your residency and work permits.


STFC takes very seriously the mental well-being of people out on LTA, in particular, students. We are aware that there can be many stresses for people at CERN. It is important that if you are struggling with stress or mental health issues, you seek support – there is no shame in this.

In the first place, you should speak to your supervisor or group leader, your family and/or your friends. For further help, contact the CERN Mental Health support.​