Research Staff LTA
19 Dec 2016







This section includes information for Researchers on Long-term Attachment to CERN.  Information specific to Students can be found here

Travellers must seek permission from the appropriate Budget Holder and their Group Leader to go on LTA.

Many projects are set up to use the UK-PP Travel System (designed by Steve Lloyd at QMUL). If your project is not set up for this, you should contact us.

We would ask that:

  • LTAs are requested in advance of them starting.
  • LTAs are for one year at a time.
  • Ideally requests start on 1 Apr and finish on 31 Mar, as appropriate. Obviously if an LTA starts mid-year, that is fine; but we prefer that requests do not extend over the financial year boundary.
  • Short but meaningful justifications for the LTA are given.

Once an Visit Notice has been approved, the Traveller will receive an email notification generated by the site.  Important - the email is to be considered the official record of the LTA.

The new guidelines ​​- outline of financial support for University & PPD Staff on LTA (updated April 2021) (NOT Students)​

Passports and Visas

Following Brexit, there are different arrangements for UK nationals:

Visitors should decide in advance of their visit, whether they will live in France or Switzerland. If you decide to live in Switzerland no action is necessary as there is no visa requirement in Switzerland for UK nationals who are CERN personnel. 

If you decide to live in France you will need to obtain a D type visa. You will need to contact your experiment Secretariat at least 4 weeks in advance of your arrival at CERN for them to start the process.

For Switzerland and France, if anyone is accompanying you who is a UK national and is not married to you or in a Civil Partnership with you, they will be subject to the entry regulations and procedures of whichever country you chose to reside in.​​​

You must be in possession of a valid passport which has more than 6 months validity. You are responsible for checking that you have the necessary documents to live and work in Switzerland and/or France. You will find more on the CERN Users' Office site, please follow this link. ​

Healthcare for UK nationals visiting CERN on LTA

Please note CERN requires all visitors to have medical insurance cover for both France and Switzerland irrespective of which country you will be staying in. You should clarify your cover with your institute. For holders of an​ EHIC card from an EU country the arrangements have not changed. However​, following Brexit, there are different arrangements for UK nationals and others holding UK EHIC card:

If you are staying in France

The Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) is replacing the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and will be valid in France. However, if your EHIC is still in date, you do not need to apply for a new GHIC until your EHIC card expires. If you need to apply for a GHIC card click on the link below. Please note that the EHIC and GHIC cards are not a substitute for medical insurance and visitors should make sure they have sufficient medical cover from their institutes.​ 

Apply for a GHIC on the NHS website.  ​

If you are staying in Switzerland

GHICs and old UK EHICs are not valid in Switzerland. 

​You can find more information about travelling as an UK citizen here: ​

Importation of Personal Effects

Please refer to the Guidelines, found on this page under Long-term attachment, Useful Information for specifics concerning removals at part of your LTA.

For Budget Holder approved removals, as the Traveller, please gather three quotes and forward them to the UKLO Team, with copy to your experiment PI. The UK Liaison Office will advise which quote is accepted. Generally, the Traveller must claim reimbursement of the removal charges. 

Accommodation at CERN

The majority of the UK research staff at CERN are happy to find their own accommodation. Please remember that if you decide to live in France you will need to apply for a D type Visa.

However, if you need support with the accommodation, we may be able to help as STFC holds leases for several properties in the region. All our accommodation is found in residential buildings located in Meyrin/Geneva, Switzerland. Please inform us in advance if you would like us to help​.


​​last updated 15/04/2021